Change? "Non, merci!"
I am in France this week on holiday. Everything seems very quiet after last weekend's referendum on the EU constitution. It brought about a shocking revaltion to some: people don't like change.
My point is not to comment on European politics (I'm not that foolish) but to ask if there isn't a universal truth here somewhere?
I remember during one of the Canadian referenda that I worked on in the 1990's the federal government looked at length to see if there was a way they could ask a question where 'no' was the desired answer. People would rather say 'no'.
After the eventual No vote (we are 3 for 3 in Canada) research showed that a big motivator for how people voted was how they thought others would vote.
Which suggests another universal truth to me: People like to be lead. Most of us have enough trouble with our daily lives. When it comes to big issues we'll go with the crowd.
Especially if they are saying "Non, merci."
/df
My point is not to comment on European politics (I'm not that foolish) but to ask if there isn't a universal truth here somewhere?
I remember during one of the Canadian referenda that I worked on in the 1990's the federal government looked at length to see if there was a way they could ask a question where 'no' was the desired answer. People would rather say 'no'.
After the eventual No vote (we are 3 for 3 in Canada) research showed that a big motivator for how people voted was how they thought others would vote.
Which suggests another universal truth to me: People like to be lead. Most of us have enough trouble with our daily lives. When it comes to big issues we'll go with the crowd.
Especially if they are saying "Non, merci."
/df

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home