Should I stay... or should I go now?
I had a surprise visit from a friend today. "I quit my job last month," he said, with an amazing grin. "I was half way in to the office one day, when I stopped on a bench in Hyde Park and decided I wasn't going in to go to work any more."
The company was powerless.
But why do organisations let this happen? It's like running out of petrol on the motorway: "Didn't you read the dials? Didn't you know this was coming?"
Sadly most organisations have no idea about the motivation levels of their people. Managers and measurement either don't know or won't ask.
At the same time research on retirement says people want to work longer. While companies are trying to get rid of them. My amazing dad, who is still shy of 70, has found a new career as a social commentator and general rabble-rouser. I dare you to tell him to stop.
So, why do we find ourselves desperately trying to keep the young ones and lose the old ones? I suspect it's got a lot to do with the way we are managing people... the way we are talking to them. The listening that we are not doing.
/df
The company was powerless.
But why do organisations let this happen? It's like running out of petrol on the motorway: "Didn't you read the dials? Didn't you know this was coming?"
Sadly most organisations have no idea about the motivation levels of their people. Managers and measurement either don't know or won't ask.
At the same time research on retirement says people want to work longer. While companies are trying to get rid of them. My amazing dad, who is still shy of 70, has found a new career as a social commentator and general rabble-rouser. I dare you to tell him to stop.
So, why do we find ourselves desperately trying to keep the young ones and lose the old ones? I suspect it's got a lot to do with the way we are managing people... the way we are talking to them. The listening that we are not doing.
/df

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home