Can change be invisible?
We listened in on an 'analysts call' with a CEO recently and there was a lot of talk about cutting resources and reducing headcount but not a lot about people.
I know that analysts aren't in the people business, and I am not even faulting the Chief Executive. What I am interested in is how you can say 'we have too many people' and not simply say our people should be doing some things differently.
Imagine I was responsible for an 8-man row boat - like the ones Oxford and Cambridge race here on the Thames. One day I show up at the Chairman's office and say 'we've decided we only need 6.'
And he said 'Good idea. Fewer people in the boat. Less weight. I like it.'
Wouldn't you want to say 'Yes, but you're not the same boat.'
How can you take out people, or change a structure or process and not expect the business to change? Of course it changes. What can you do about it? Quite a bit actually. But you have to start before you make the change.
'Yes sir. We're here to row against Oxford sir.'
'Yes but what about the boat? It looks like you've taken out two seats!'
'Ah, yes, we thought it was for the best...'
Sounds like a change management and communication problem to me.
I know that analysts aren't in the people business, and I am not even faulting the Chief Executive. What I am interested in is how you can say 'we have too many people' and not simply say our people should be doing some things differently.
Imagine I was responsible for an 8-man row boat - like the ones Oxford and Cambridge race here on the Thames. One day I show up at the Chairman's office and say 'we've decided we only need 6.'
And he said 'Good idea. Fewer people in the boat. Less weight. I like it.'
Wouldn't you want to say 'Yes, but you're not the same boat.'
How can you take out people, or change a structure or process and not expect the business to change? Of course it changes. What can you do about it? Quite a bit actually. But you have to start before you make the change.
'Yes sir. We're here to row against Oxford sir.'
'Yes but what about the boat? It looks like you've taken out two seats!'
'Ah, yes, we thought it was for the best...'
Sounds like a change management and communication problem to me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home